OPEN POSITIONS: CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER & GENERAL MANAGER
Chief Financial Officer
Beartooth Electric Cooperative, Inc. is accepting applications for a Chief Financial Officer. This is a high-level position responsible for the Cooperative’s financial health. Performing high-level accounting and finance functions is required. This position also participates in the overall management and implementation of strategic goals for the Cooperative. Upon meeting eligibility requirements, this position offers health care benefits, retirement benefits, paid time off, and paid scheduled holidays.
- Four-year accredited college degree in accounting or finance or five (5) years experience in a similar position or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of finance, accounting, and office procedures. Must become familiar with the RUS Uniform System of Accounts, FERC accounting, and BEC’s National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) accounting and finance systems and become proficient within 45 days. Must have a solid working knowledge of computer software, including all Microsoft products, with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Possess a strong and diverse track record of progressive responsibility in finance management.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the completed employment application, resume, and cover letter by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at Beartooth Electric Cooperative, Inc., 1306 N Broadway Ave, Red Lodge, MT. Have Questions? Call 406-446-2310 and ask to speak to the General Manager.Application for Employment CFO Position Description
Deadline to Apply
The position will remain open until filled.
The Board of Trustees at Beartooth Electric (BEC) is seeking a results driven leader with strong interpersonal communication skills and a broad understanding of the operations of a rural distribution cooperative for their next General Manager. The selected candidate will take over in July 2023 upon the retirement of BEC’s current GM. BEC has retained NRECA Executive Search to facilitate the search process.
About Beartooth Electric Cooperative
BEC is a member-owned non-profit distribution cooperative providing electric services to its members in portions of three Montana counties, including Carbon, Stillwater, and Sweetgrass, as well as part of Park County in Wyoming. Headquartered in Red Lodge, MT, with an outpost in Columbus MT, the cooperative serves approximately 4900 members with 6900 meters. BEC delivers electricity to the membership over 1700 miles of line. Residential services make up 82% of their energy sales.
The cooperative has 17 full-time employees and purchases wholesale power from Energy Keepers Inc. (EKI), a business enterprise owned by the Confederated Salish Kootenai Tribes (CSKT). SKQ Dam is a key element of EKI’s power supply portfolio. BEC also receives a small power allocation from the Western Area Power Administration (WAPA).
The BEC Trustees are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a strong commitment to the Cooperative business model and its values with proven capability to lead a distribution utility.
The Successful Candidate
Key attributes that will help distinguish you as the next executive leader at BEC include:
- Commitment to Cooperative values with a strong focus on the membership
- Results driven and innovative with a defined strategy and vision in the forefront
- High regard for electric power safety and safe workplace practices
- Ability to lead change, manage risk, positively influence and motivate others
- Possess a high level of integrity and courage
- Strong interpersonal communication and relationship building skills
Other experience and expertise sought after:
- Broad electric utility experience with 6-10 years preferred
- Understanding of power supply issues including renewable energy development
- Knowledge in engineering, business administration, marketing, and member services
- 4- year college degree strongly preferred in any of these areas or a related area: Advanced degree is a plus
- 6-10 years of proven responsible management experience strongly preferred
- Previous GM or CEO experience is strongly preferred but not required
The GM of BEC reports directly to and is accountable to a seven-member Board of Trustees. The responsibility of the GM is to administer the policies of the board and carry out its directives.
BEC’s service territory runs from Reed Point, MT to Clark WY along the foothills of the Beartooth Mountains. Red Lodge, nestled against Montana’s highest mountain peaks and Custer-Gallatin National Forest, is considered the gateway to Yellowstone National Park, and has a population of approximately 2300 residents. For a small town, Red Lodge offers excellent dining, unique shopping opportunities, and community events. Four major water systems flow through BEC’s service territory: Yellowstone, Clark’s Fork, Stillwater River, and Rock Creek River. Nearby Billings, MT has a population of a little over 121,000.
BEC serves a beautiful area of agricultural and ranch land as well as its acclaimed forested areas. The area offers excellent year-round recreational options, making it a very popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts to visit or call home. Sightseeing, camping, hiking, biking, fishing, boating, and hunting are enjoyed by many in this area as well as the winter activities of downhill and cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. Red Lodge is a short distance from the larger community of Billings, MT which offers medical facilities, higher education, shopping, dining, tourist attractions, western historical and cultural exhibits, as well as many other entertainment opportunities.
BEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a NRECA 401k pension plan as well as a Homestead Funds 457B deferred compensation plan to their GM. The Cooperative also offers NRECA medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance plans along with PTO availability. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Interested parties should apply via the following link:
with your 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) contact information (including emails) for three professional references. If you have additional questions, please contact Jean Brandt, NRECA Executive Search, 701-263-2111 or Jean.Brandtemail@example.com.
Applications must be received by March 27, 2023. All replies are confidential.
BEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including Vets and the Disabled. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer (PDF), BEC offers the opportunity to voluntarily self-identify as part of the application process.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.